The History of Argyle United Methodist Church
The First Hundred Years
Argyle UMC is a vibrant and authentic church who has been part of the Argyle community for over one hundred years. Our story stared with faithful families who moved to a new area and joined together in community. By l867, 14 families were living in the settlement of Argyle. Between 1880 and 1882, Texas and Pacific Railroad laid track the Red River through Fort Worth. On October 17, 1881, Argyle officially became a town, organized to serve the railroad.
The railroad brought people, business and the mail to Argyle. Rancher Henry Johns had a fine well frequented by travelers passing through the area. The well took on special significance in 1884 as the water source for the annual “Brush Arbor Camp Meetings” sponsored by Prairie Mound Methodist Church. Today, a historical marker at Johns Well tells the story of its importance in the church life of the area. Over the years, the site, about two miles west of Methodist Hill, hosted many family reunions, praying, singing, repenting, playing, eating and recreation events each year to celebrate the end of harvest. Many years later, Prairie Mound Methodist Church became part of Argyle Methodist Church.
Argyle Methodist Church was chartered in 1894 with twenty-seven members. The first pastor was Reverend Blueford Henry Webster, a Methodist circuit rider from Mississippi. In 1898, they purchased land atop "Methodist Hill" from the Texas and Pacific Railroad. The first sanctuary, a frame structure, was built by the pastor and church members. They drove six wagons to the Dallas planing mill to bring back lumber to build the pews. Two of the original pews still have a special place in our church today!
Over the years, Argyle Methodist Church expanded. Adjoining property was acquired by trustees in 1947 and in 1973. The church, the community and its mission continued to grow! In 1986 the sanctuary was renovated and enlarged and a reception area, offices, library, kitchen and social hall were added. The seven original stained glass windows commemorating the stages of the life of Christ. Old "Methodist Hill" and this building is now Argyle Town Hall.
Growing in Mission and Ministry
From its humble beginnings over 100 years ago when 27 individuals followed God’s call to establish Argyle Methodist Church, today a new generation of faithful followers faithfully works to bring a second hundred years of ministry and service to the Argyle community.
Church membership continued to grow and by the year 2003 the church had added three portable buildings and exhausted all means of expanding at its present location. In 2005, the people of Argyle UMC doubled the size of their mission and acquired 20 contiguous acres of land on Highway 377 and held their first Worship service on Palm Sunday 2009 - where we worship today!
Our Mission continues as we grow as disciples,
working with God to transform the world one life at a time
God is at work in our community! CLICK HERE to read and see stories of transformation by people in our community. Welcome to Argyle United Methodist Church!